Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Personal Reading Profile:
     I enjoy reading even though I consider myself a slow reader.  My go to genres are  mysteries, suspense, romance, Christian, and young adults.  However, I'm usually caught reading mysteries or romance the most.  I like trying to see if I can solve the mystery or how would I react to different bumps in the road during a romance.  If the book is great I have a tendency to 'live' the life of the main characters.
     Heather Graham and Lori Foster are my two favorite authors at this time.  I've read all of Lori Foster's books and only need to read 2 more of Heather Graham's book.  At this time I am trying to read James Patterson's Women's Murder Club books as well.
     I've always enjoyed having books read to me as well as being the one doing the reading.  Recently I've started listening to books on Overdrive and Hoopla.  This is helping me get my long list of 'to read' boos read faster.  I believe with listening to the books I tend to listen to a wider variety of genres then just reading the books.  I will admit I believe that nothing can beat the feeling of a book in my hands as I'm reading it.

11 comments:

  1. The WMC has 16 books right now and I'm only on the 4th one. So far I'm enjoying them. I would say for me the only down side would be the amount of profanity, however, considering the setting and characters, profanity is expected to be part of the books. They always keep me guessing as to what is going to be happening next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, I use Overdrive and Hoopla as well, but mostly for e-books. I prefer holding a book in my hands though. But if I can't find a copy of something at my library, I will going searching for the e-book instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Overdrive for eBooks as well. I actually prefer to use my iPad Kindle app to read over a real book. I have only used the Indy PL for books that I needed for research. I only buy books that are by favorite authors or favorite subjects.

      Delete
  3. I'm still getting use to e-books. If I can't hold the book I guess I would say that I prefer audio books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! I'm also a big fan of mystery and suspense. Heather Graham is one of my favorites as well.

    I also use overdrive, but I've never tried hoopla, so I'm going to have to check that out. I've been interested in audiobooks but have honestly never tried it. I think I am almost ready to venture into that realm though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mary,

    I identify so much with what you said about living the life of your character. When I am reading a really good book, I swear it almost feels like I am watching a movie and seeing it play out in front of me. I get so invested in the lives of the characters that it is really hard when the book or series ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you say that you "live the life of the characters." I always imagine myself as the main character or someone I know regardless of the physical descriptions provided in the book. I consider myself a slow reader as well because I'm too busy thinking beyond what's on the page particularly in mysteries where some seemingly flippant remark or descriptor could be a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great profile! I'm glad you're expanding your horizons to access books in new formats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audiobooks are part of the reason I have also read a wider variety of genres lately. I drive a lot to and from work and it is pretty easy to invest that time in a book by listening to it. I don't think I would keep up with actually reading the books I read for my two book clubs if not for audiobooks.
    I do like to actually physically read books I'm really interested in, though. For example, when Stephen King's The Stand was on our list a couple of years ago I sacrificed time to sit with the novel and turn the pages. Overall an interesting experience, The Stand. How do you find Stephen King in general?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I haven't read any of Stephen King books. So, maybe I need to read one to see what he is like. This is the 2nd reference to The Stand that I've read. That book may have to be the one I start reading or listening to next.

      Delete
    2. That's funny that The Stand keeps coming up. I did just Google it and one Readers Choice Poll by Rolling Stone did put it at number 1. I'd recommend not reading the deluxe edition with an updated time period setting and extra stuff. Just go for the first edition.

      Delete