Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Special Paper- Book Awards

BOOK AWARDS
There are A LOT of book awards out there. However there is not a lot written about the book awards.  There is no general history about book awards so I can't tell you when all of the award craze first started as I had planned.  What I did write about were different awards.  I know when they started, what they were given for, what the prize is, and more- if that information was available.  I searched about 45 awards and settled on the following 13 awards.  Here are their names and what they are given for:

  • Agatha Award - traditional mystery
  • Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence in Fiction and Nonfiction - any book that guides adults to select quality reading material.
  • Anisfield-Wolf Book Award - Books with focus on racism and diversity
  • Bram Stoker Award - Horror
  • The Center for Fiction: First Novel Prize - fiction
  • Edgar Award - mystery, crime, suspense, and intrigue fiction
  • Goodread's Choice Award - readers' choice in 20 categories
  • National Book Award - fiction, nonfiction, poetry, YA
  • Neustadt Prize - International award -poetry, fiction, drama
  • Nobel Prize in Literature - Outstanding lifetime Work in Literature
  • PEN/Hemingway Award - debut novel or book of short stories
  • Pulitzer Prize - journalism, letters and drama, education, poetry, music, photography
  • RITA Awards - romance
(To read more about these awards go to the following blog:

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mary,

    Great topic choice. As someone that does collection development for my library, I rely heavily at times on award lists to know what I should order for my library. Another great thing, though, is that some of the book awards you chose really help new and up-and-coming authors make a name for themselves. I feel like some focus on already established, popular authors, but some like the Goodread's Choice Award are particularly good about giving all authors a chance. I love how that particular award is also patron based in that the people that are voting for it are reading the books for pleasure and giving their honest opinion. Thank you for this interesting look into the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    This is such a great topic choice! I think I've heard of all these types of awards, yet I don't really know what they are for. I'm sure there are countless more awards. I would have a hard time picking 13! I think you picked the ones that are most relevant. Even this short summary of the awards was helpful for me, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,
    Wow. I had no idea there were so many awards out there. Did you learn how each, or any, of the awards were named? Info. on any famous people that inspired the award? Just curious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete