Friday, January 26, 2018

Secret Shopper

The Event: 
I walked up to the reference desk and said, “I have a few hours, days to relax and was wondering if you could recommend a good book for me to read?”
                The librarian said, “Oh, uhm, okay.  What type of books do you like to read?”
                I answered, “I like mysteries and romances.  Sometimes I read suspense.”
                He thought for a second, then got up and started walking through the new book section.  He said, “I’m thinking something by Evanovich.  I thought she had something new, but I don’t see it.  Evanovich has some mystery with a bit of romance thrown into it.  Have you ever read anything y Evanovich?”
                “I’ve read a couple of her books,” I replied. 
                “Have you read any of her Plum stuff?  She was the first one that popped into my head,” he continued.  “Her older stuff is just as good I heard.  I personally haven’t read anything from her.” He walked me to the Evanovich books and handed me One of the Money.  “You don’t always have to start with the first one, but it’s a good place to start.”
                “Thank you,” I said.  I turned the book over to read the back of the book.
                He turned away and headed back to his reference desk.  After he left, I realized, this is the one book of Evanovich that I have read.

ANYALSIS:
The librarian didn’t use any tools to help him choose a book.  He made an okay pick for me, however I’m not a fan of Evanovich.  I think if he would have asked a couple more questions he would have found that out and maybe given me a different choice.  The book he did give me just happened to be the one I’ve read before.  I should have said so but didn’t.
                This shop was not what I was expecting.  I thought there would be more questions for me to answer.  I thought he’d use some type of tool to help him, either a book or a website.  I did expect more conversation between the two of us.  However, that could be lacking because of me not expanding my answers to his questions.  I also thought that he might have given me 2 or 3 book/author choices instead of just the one. 
                For the most part, I guess that I was looking for what Joyce Saricks says on page 5, “Most readers appreciate the conversation and the process more than a quick answer.  Readers want us to listen and help them explore.”  I was looking for that conversation about books that didn’t really happen.  Quick answers are what I felt I got and a rush of the process is what I felt was happening. 
                “Recommending is saying, ‘Take this book; it is good for you.’ Suggesting makes us partners with readers in exploring the various directions they might want to pursue.” (Saricks, pg2) This interaction was all recommending.  Maybe I should have said suggest a book instead of recommend a book at the beginning of the conversation.  I wonder if that would have made any difference?
                I might go back and try getting a different response from a different librarian.  I should be more explanatory in my answers to help get a better book recommendation.

Reference

Saricks, J. (2009). The readers’ advisory guide to genre fiction. Chicago: American Library Association.

8 comments:

  1. Mary,

    I'm sad to see that you also had a slightly more 'negative' experience, as he failed to interact with you as much as I think many of us are expecting. I like how Saricks describes, in one of the readings, that it should be more of a conversation, as opposed to an interview. It sounds like this is something which you would have preferred. Do you think that there would be patrons who, after having this experience, might just decide to look for things on their own from that point on? That is generally my concern after having an interaction like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      I think that if the person is like me, more introverted, they won't try the readers' advisory again. Now maybe a more extroverted person may try it again.

      Delete
    2. Mary,

      I do feel for people in that situation...wanting to ask, but having a negative experience looming in the back one's mind.

      Delete
  2. Mary,

    It does sound like he got a good start, but perhaps made his "escape" too quickly. I can chat with the best of them usually, but sometimes I feel like I might be getting in the way of a customer's thought processes and may vacate the scene too quickly. I need to make sure I stay open to a conversation. I do always try to let the customer know that I am available if they have another question, though, and that I can place a hold for them on something not immediately on the shelf if they would like. Hmm. Your experience gives me some good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sorry to see that your experience wasn't what you were hoping for. It sounds like you found someone who just had no really experience with readers advisory. One thing I like to do is tell the patron that I want them to tell me what they thought after reading the book. The conversation about books is the best thing I think I get to do on desk. I am always a little terrified when someone ask me for something to read but I love when I get to talk with them later about the book they read and see if I was able to find them something they liked or if they didn't like it see if they want to try again. Making it a conversation I think makes it easier on both parties (the one asking for the book and the ones looking for a book). I hope you do try again and get better results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. This experience was definitely lacking. I do not have much reading experience with either mystery or suspense, which is why I would have to go to resources first, especially if the question was sort of vague. Furthermore, while Evanovich is a wildly popular author, I'm not sure I would recommend that to someone who says they like "mystery and suspense". If I had thought about recommending her, I would first ask the reader if they also enjoyed humor. Even though I have never read Evanovich, I know enough to remember that she is also funny, almost slapstick at times. That's a pretty specific sub-genre, and I think I would want to make sure this is something the reader was in the mood for. It's also too bad he just sort of walked away, without really making sure you were finding what you needed. Of course, it is entirely possible that he was really busy, and there are some days when you have so many things to do that answering these wide-open-ended questions can seem overwhelming and even irritating. Overall this must have been kind of disappointing, but definitely a learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary!

    Wow, that’s too bad it sounded like you had a disappointing experience. Readers’ Advisory is all about customer service. Our business is the library, our product is the book and librarians should be aware that they need to “sell” a book to the customer, set aside time to help the customer, and provide a positive experience to get the patron to become a regular. I am surprised that not all librarians want to talk about books they’ve read- it would seem like the first thing they would want to talk about!

    The librarian you spoke to should definitely have asked you more questions and taken a longer time with you. On the flip side, it is always hard to try to balance the length of the line and how long to take on each question, but personally I believe in the quality of the answer over the amount of time that it took to get to it. That's great you are willing to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you had a pretty dismal experience. I'm glad he got off his tush and walked you around but he didn't ask any follow up questions or consult any resources. At least you learned what not to do!

    ReplyDelete