Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Week Three Prompt Response.


1.      I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!
The 4th book of the Anita Blake series is Lunatic Café. I went to Novelist and entered Laurell K. Hamilton.  When I got to the list of books I went to the 2nd book and hit the link to the vampire series.  The link took me to the list of book in order for this series.

2.      What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.
I looked up Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver to see what the language style was: Descriptive, lush, lyrical. Along the edge of the page it listed some books that are read alikes so I made sure my choses have the same language.  I would suggest the following: Anthill by Edward O. Wilson and The History of Bees by Maja Lunde.

3.      I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!
I entered Japan and historical setting in to the search boxes.  I read the list of books until I came to one that was in a series.  The following is what I came up with: I.J. Parker’s Sugawara Akitada mysteries: The Dragon Scroll (bk 1) or Liam Hearn’s Across the Nightingale Floor, Tales of the Otori (Book 1).

4.      I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?  
looked up the book by author and title.  Along the right side is a list of read alikes.  I went with Roseanna by Maj Sjowall because they both have detectives from Scotland Yard. I also chose Still Life by Louise Penny because they are both leisurely reads and character-driven.

5.      My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?
I looked up zombies under the genre of science fiction.  I choose the following: Z by Michael Thomas Ford and Rot & Ruin (Benny Imural, bk 1) by Jonathan Maberry.

6.      I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.
This time I looked up the books using Google & goodreads.  First I googled books into movies after 2013.  I got a list of books to look up from goodreads and chose these books from there: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

7.      I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.
In NoveList, I entered thriller for the genre, fast-paced and clean also in the search boxes.  I came up with the following books: Clean Kill by Jack Coughlin and Rain Fall by Barry Eisler.

For myself I usually look up books using goodreads, Google, or Amazon.  I will enter the subject of what I want like cozy mystery list of books in google and then a link to goodreads will usually be the first or second link to choose.  If I know the title or the author, I’ll go straight to goodreads or Amazon and enter the information.  Right now I don’t work at a library so I do not look up books for others.  When I do start working in a library I hope they have Novelist because I can see where it will be a helpful tool to have.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I will have to look into the books you suggest for Japan! (I am a huge fan of Japanese history, and so I'm always hunting for new titles in that area).

    If you have never checked out Fantastic Fiction, you might find it helpful in future library work. It's a great resource if you are looking up particular authors, or if the patron wants to know what all an author has written. Its layout is a bit more straightforward than Goodreads, and it also doesn't have you click through pages to see more. And, my favorite part, all the books are together, in order, by series!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great prompt response! You did a great job of outlining the steps you took and resources consulted. Your answers are spot on. Full points!

    ReplyDelete